From the kitchen of Bonnie Browning, Executive Show Director
“It’s a family favorite!”
2-1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
1 egg yolk
12 apples (6 cups sliced)
1-1/3 c. sugar
2 T. Minute tapioca
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg white
1 c. powdered sugar & 2 T. milk or cream
- Crust: Mix flour, shortening, and salt. Place egg yolk in cup and fill to 2/3 cup with milk. Add to dough mixture and mix. Divide dough in half and roll out to fit cookie sheet. This dough rolls out easily.
- Place one piece of dough on cookie sheet.
- Mix apples, cinnamon, sugar, tapioca, and flour. Place on crust on cookie sheet.
- Roll balance of dough and place over apple mixture. Brush with whipped egg white. Cut some holes in top crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 20 to 30 minutes more.
- While warm, drizzle with a mixture of powdered sugar and milk or cream.