Enjoy the sweet tastes of summer with this adorable Cherry Pie block pattern. From the February 2012 issue of The Quilt Life, this block features foundation paper piecing, template piecing, and charming cherry appliques with embroidery embellishment.
Fabric and cutting requirements for each Cherry Pie block:
- Cream 7˝ x 16˝ scrap foundation patches, 1 C
- Plaid 51/2˝ x 51/2˝ scrap 1 B
- Pink 33/4˝ x 33/4˝ scrap 1 A
- Bright Red 11/2˝ x 9˝ scrap foundation patches
- Dark Red 1˝ x 3˝ scrap 3 cherries
- Light Green 11/4˝ x 2˝ scrap 1 leaf
- Medium Green 1˝ x 3˝ scrap 2 leaves
Appliqué the cherries and leaves to the A patch. Using three strands of black embroidery thread, use outline stitches to embroider the veins on the leaves and the stems on the A patch. Paper piece the triangle arc. Remove the paper. Mark the dots on the wrong sides of the A, B, and C patches and the arc. Matching dots, sew the A and B patches together. Likewise, sew the arc and the C patch together. Matching dots, sew the 2 sections together.