Last week we asked you about your scissors – over 950 of you responded! Thank you to each and every one of you for taking the time to share your scissor experiences.
Q: How many quilting/sewing scissors do you own?
- Six to ten pairs of scissors can be found in 41% of respondents’ homes.
- Over 100 of you had more scissors than you could count!
- Only one person felt that scissors had passed their time of usefulness voting that no one uses scissors.
Q: What types of specialty scissors do you own and use?
- Apparently nearly all of us have a pair of pinking shears! A whopping 80% count the zig zagged edge cutters among their collection.
- Snips and Embroidery scissors followed close behind with 77% of those asked owning a pair of each.
- Not on the list, but were mentioned…
- Rag quilt snips
- Buttonhole scissors
- Round tipped
- Spring activated
- Curved manicure
- Having read the question, one participant responded, “I clearly need more scissors!”
Q: Do you sharpen or replace your scissors?
- Interestingly the most skipped question.
- Of those who did respond, nearly 10% are fearless sharpeners, 10% rather replace than sharpen, and the remaining 80% do a bit of both.
- According to the comment section, many of you are of the don’t sharpen and don’t toss category. You keep them all, dull and sharp alike.
Q: Have you ever cut out a quilt with scissors only?
- This was nearly a 50/50 split! I was shocked. But I shouldn’t have been. It’s the same reason I’ve cut out quilts with only scissors…it was before rotary cutters.
Q: What is your favorite brand of scissors?
- Top Five:
- Gingher – 39%
- Fiskars – 23%
- Karen K. Buckley – 15%
- Kai – 8%
- Havel – 3%
- Others mentioned in the comments:
- Fons & Porter
- Fuller Brush
- Heritage Cutlery
- Marathon Threads
- Tres Claveles
- Tula Pink
Q: What do you most frequently use your quilting scissor for?
- 61% trim fabric and threads with their scissors.
- 20% use them for applique.
- 9% diligently cut out their quilts one snip at a time!