AQS has a new Quilt Contest for the Fall Paducah show… and you get to be a judge to select the Best of Show and the other six top awards. Prior to the show, a team of three expert quilt judges will select the First, Second, and Third Place winners in the 15 categories of the Quilt Contest. All winners will be notified after the judging is completed on Sunday, September 10, so the winners can make plans to get to Paducah for the AQS Winners Showcase on Friday evening.
Here are 5 tips to warm up your quilt judging skills!
- Overall Design – Look at the overall design of the quilt. Does it work? Think about the lines, shapes, colors, and values used in the quilt. Do they work together to create the desired aesthetic?
- Workmanship – Look at the construction of the quilt. Does the artist show a mastery of the techniques used? Consider piecing, applique, and any other technique used.
- Quilting – Does the quilting work with the quilt’s overall design? Does it work with the construction to create a complete work? Is the quilting well executed?
- Finishing – Does the finishing technique such as binding complete the quilt? In what ways did the artist execute the finishing of the quilt that is unique to this quilt’s overall design? Is the finishing technique well done?
- Embellishment – What embellishments did the artist use to accent the design elements of the quilt? Did the embellishments work as intended? Is the workmanship good?