Almost thirty years ago, Meredith and her husband Bill founded what is now the largest membership organization for quilters in the world. As the driving force behind the growth of quilting’s recognition across the world as a fine art form, Meredith has made an indelible mark on the fiber art community.
In just two weeks, Meredith Schroeder will be inducted into The Quilters Hall of Fame. Presented every year, this prestigious award recognizes a person who has made an outstanding contribution to the world of quilting. More information about the celebration can be found here.
Please join with all of us in the AQS family by posting a word of congratulations and praise for our founder Meredith Schroeder. The comments box below would be an excellent place to share your thoughts!
Need some convincing? Here are just a few of Meredith’s ground-breaking contributions to us as quilters.
Meredith changed the perception of quilting from “women’s work” to professional artistry by offering the largest cash prizes for quilters in the country.
- She continues to increase quilting’s profile, now awarding $20,000 to a single quilt every year.
- By the end of 2013, AQS will award more than $250,000 in cash prizes for quilters.
At Meredith’s invitation, sponsors help fund the cash awards that keep quilters stitching.
- Manufacturers and suppliers now contribute prizes to further elevate and celebrate quilters.
- Now copied by other national quilt shows, Meredith’s innovation has helped keep others in business.
The world now has The National Quilt Museum, celebrating quilting on a grand scale.
- Meredith founded the museum in 1990, originally known as the Museum of the American Quilter’s Society.
- Common to Meredith’s generosity, the museum is now its own non-profit organization, free from business interests to serve quilters across the globe.
- The state-of-the-art museum allows quilts to be viewed as art in an environment that preserves and protects the featured masterpieces.
Collectors and quilt-lovers alike can protect their quilts from loss.
- AQS’s appraiser certification program grants quilt appraisers professional status.
- More than 100 men and women are now certified through this program.
Hundreds of books and thousands of pages are filled with quilting guidance.
- Meredith began two magazines: American Quilter and The Quilt Life.
- AQS publishes more than 20 books per year, offering the leading how-to content for quilters.
- Ideas and tips from artists from around the globe have been shared with the world as authors and designers.
In the words of the Quilters Hall of Fame,
Visionary, innovator, and grand ambassador of quilting to the world are terms that describe Meredith Schroeder, the 2013 Inductee in The Quilters Hall of Fame. Meredith helped put Paducah, Kentucky, not only on a quilter’s map but on the world map.
And… she’s incredibly humble. We are praising her achievement this week because she is on vacation and not in the office to object!
Please join with quilters around the world in sharing a note with Meredith below.