From the Kitchen of Bonnie Browning, Executive Show Director
1 large load French bread, cut into 1-1/4-inch slices
3-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 to 8 medium baking apples (McIntosh or Cortland), peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Optional: Powdered sugar
- Place bread slices in greased 13″ x 9″ glass baking dish or casserole. No need to remove crust on bread.
- Whisk milk, eggs, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until well blended. Pour half of mixture over bread. Layer apple slices over bread. Pour remaining half of egg mixture over apples.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in small bowl; sprinkle over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake uncovered 1 hour or until eggs are set and knife pierces apple slice easily. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Good treat for an office snack day. Creamy custard French toast with not-too-sweet apple topping! Enjoy!