American Quilter Magazine
As your go-to resource for top quality quilting patterns, innovative tips, new products, quilting news, and
close-up looks at the latest AQS quilt contest winners, American Quilter (AQ) magazine strives to bring you
the best of the best in quilting six times per year.
At AQS, one of our favorite mottoes is “We can’t wait to see what you create.” It is a privilege for us to
consider any previously unpublished, quilt-related patterns or feature articles that you would like to submit
to our magazine. An AQ magazine subscription is an integral part of membership in the American Quilter’s
Society, and it is mailed or sent as a digital subscription to over 65,000 members. AQ can also be found at
Barnes & Noble, JoAnn’s, and at AQS QuiltWeek events.
We carefully consider every pattern or feature that comes our way. While it is impossible to publish every
submission, we look forward to seeing what you have in mind. Digital submissions are required; we invite
you to send your original, unpublished patterns or feature articles along with high quality images as attachments
along with a cover letter to email@example.com. Please use the word “Submission” within
the subject line.
We would like to see:
Fresh new patterns.
Unique technique articles.
Nonfiction quilting interest features.
- Submissions are accepted year round; there are no deadlines.
- Want to discuss your idea? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do not submit quilts made from previously published patterns.
- Submissions are accepted from the original author, designer, or copyright owner only. By submitting material, you acknowledge that you are legally entitled to distribute the work and that you allow it to be redistributed via our magazine, website, and/or blog and that the content has not been published previously either in print or on the Internet without the AQ editor’s knowledge and consent.
- Keep feature articles within a range of 500-1200 words long, double spaced, in Times New Roman 12 font, and include high resolution images/photography.
- Please include rough illustrations as necessary to complement your pattern. Illustration artwork will be professionally redesigned by our staff.
- Accompanying images must be in high resolution format of at least 300 dpi. Exceptional photos increase your article’s chance for acceptance. A clear image of your entire quilt is required.
- The wait for response may be several weeks, even months, as we plan far ahead for each issue. Please be patient.
- Your pattern or feature article must include:
- Home Address
- Email Address
- Website or Blog Address (if you have one)
- Home Phone/Cell Phone Number
- We like to know a little about our contributors. Include at least a paragraph or two about yourself including writing, quilting, and sewing experience and any additional facts about your submission. Let us know if you’ve had an article published in American Quilter or any other publication (quilting or not) before.
- We reserve the right to make editorial adjustments to your pattern or article.
- Partial submissions will not be considered.
- Payment for articles varies and is based on content, length, quality of writing, and visuals.
We cannot guarantee that your article will be contracted and/or used, nor can we guarantee a specific issue.
- Is your submission a good fit for AQ magazine? You may obtain a copy by calling our toll free number, 800-626-5420. Individual copies may be purchased for $6.99.
- Submissions are regularly reviewed. If we decide to publish your pattern or article, we will contact you. Your submission will remain in our files and may be considered again in the future.
All sizes, styles, and techniques will be considered. Fresh new ideas are encouraged!
The staff of American Quilter magazine appreciates your interest.