Announcing the next BIG (as in block) challenge! Here is a block that is big, big, big – 24″ of fabulous big!
Each pattern will take two weeks.
- The first week, the block pattern instructions are given. You whip up a few awesome blocks and share them.
- Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create a project using the block, it can be a quilt with lots of the blocks, a pillow with just one, or whatever you can imagine.
- The second week, we will share a free pattern that we came up with for the block and you share your ideas too. Send us a picture and we will post your creation here.
- As an added bonus, you will see the block hang around for an extra week to showcase some quilting inspiration to help you finish up.
As each person shares their pictures, we will post them on the respective block’s post.
Grab your rotary cutter, a stack of fat quarters and let’s get started!
24″ of Fabulous
24″ finished (24 1/2″ x 24 1/2″ unfinished)
Great for a large print fat quarter bundle.
White – 13″ scrap
Stripe – 13″ scrap
Veggies – 9″ x 18″ scrap
Blue – 1/4 yard
1 – 13″ x 13″ square
1 – 13″ x 13″ square
2 – 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ squares
2 – 4 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ rectangles
2 – 4 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ rectangles
- On the back of the white 13″ x 13″ square, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. Draw a line a 1/4″ on either side of the drawn line.
- Lay the white 13″ x 13″ square on top of the striped 13″ x 13″ square, right sides together, and sew on the two outer lines as shown below. Cut on the center line.
- Press the half squares open and square (trim) the squares to 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ square.
- Lay a 4 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ blue rectangle on top of the left side of an 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ veggie square, right sides together, as shown below. Sew along the edge. Press. Repeat to make 2.
- Lay a 4 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ blue rectangle on top of the top edge of the unit made in step five as shown below. Sew along the edge. Press. Repeat to make 2.
- Lay the block out as shown below. Sew the units together into rows, then sew the two rows together to make the block.
Catch up on the Big Block Challenge!
Show off your progress, connect with other quilters, get ideas, motivation and more!
Join us in the AQS Project Parade Facebook Group and piece along with us!